NAME VICTORIES UNITS ARM COUNTRY
Burr, Jackie 2 MSFU RAF Great Britain
Hay, Al 2 MSFU RAF South Africa
Everett, Robert W. H. 'Bob' 1 804 Sq, FCS Maplin FAA Australia
Flynn, P. J. R. 'Paddy' 1 MSFU RAF Great Britain
Kendall, John 1 66 Sq, MSFU RAF Great Britain
Stewart, Jimmy 1 MSFU RAF Great Britain
Taylor, Norman 1 601 Sq, MSFU RAF Great Britain
MSFU: Merchant Ship Fighter Unit
FCS: Fighter Catapult Ship
RAF: Royal Air Force
FAA: Fleet Air Arm
The Hawker Sea Hurricane being catapulted from the catapult armed merchant (CAM) ship at Greenock. Note the long flame from the rocket assistors.
A Hurricat - a catapult adapted Hurricane fighter is prepared on the launch rail of a CAM ship in port. The pilot had to be ready to launch at very short notice, whatever the sea conditions.
If he was far out at sea he could only expect to ditch the aircraft or parachute out and then hope to be picked up by one of the convoy escorts.
Sources & Literature
- Barker, Ralph: The Hurricats, Pelham Books, London 1978. ISBN 0-7207-0994-6
- Forczyk, Robert: Fw 200 Condor vs Atlantic Convoy 1941-43, Osprey Publishing, Oxford 2010. ISBN 978 1 84908 265 5
- Hague, Arnold: The Allied Convoy System 1939-1945, Naval Institute Press, 2000. ISBN 1-55750-019-3
- Mitchell, W. H. - Sawyer, L. A.: The Empire Ships, Lloyd's of London Press Ltd., London 1990. ISBN 1-85044-275-4
- Shores, Christopher - Williams, Clive: Aces High, A Tribute to the Most Notable Fighter Pilots of the British and Commonwealth Forces in WWII, Grub Street, London 1994.
- Shores, Christopher: Aces High, Volume 2, A Further Tribute to the Most Notable Fighter Pilots of the British and Commonwealth Forces in WWII, Grub Street, London 1999.
- Wise, James E. Jr.: "Catapult Off - Parachute Back", United States Naval Institute Proceedings, 1974.
- Gleize, Jean-Paul: Aces, http://jpgleize.perso.neuf.fr/aces/homeaces.htm.
- CAM ship, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAM_ship.
- The first Condor shot down by a Hurricat, World War II Today, http://ww2today.com/3rd-august-1941-the-first-condor-shot-down-by-a-hurricat.