The Syrian Arab Air Force (القوات الجوية العربية السورية / Al Quwwat al-Jawwiyah al Arabiya as-Souriy)
NAME DESTROYED DAMAGED UNIT COMMENTS
unknown 1 - (*) 1., 1 RF-4ETM Isik
unknown 1 - (*) 2., 1 MQ-1 Predator
unknown 1 - (*) Mazza AB 3., 1 F-16
unknown 1 - (*) 4., 1 F-16I
unknown - 1 (*) 5., 1 F-15
unknown 1 - (*) 6., 1 Il-20, Friendly Fire
- On 22 June 2012, a Syrian SA-3 SAM site near Latakia shot down Turkish Air Force RF-4ETM Isik reconnaissance fighter serial 77-0314 after it violated Syrian airspace over the Mediterranean Sea. The crew of Capt Gökhan Ertan and Lt Hassan Hüsseyin Aksoy were killed. Turkish RF-4E was shot down by Syrian air defenses while flying a reconnaissance flight near the Turkish-Syrian border
- On 17 March 2015, a US MQ-1 Predator drone was shot down by a Syrian Air Defense Force S-125 missile while on intelligence flight near the coastal town of Latakia.
- On August 21, 2015 in the early hours, Damascus time, an Israeli US made F-16 fighter-bomber, flew into Syrian airspace brazenly and fired at Brigade 68 and, then, turned and flew back toward Brigade 90 in Qunaytra in order to insure a safe landing in occupied Palestine if the aircraft was struck. It was struck. An SA-9 from the Iftiraas Air Defense Base and an SA-2 near the Khalkhaala AB were fired. But, the technical wizardry was most on display when an S-300 (SA-10 “Grumble) super-air-defense missile was fired from the Republican Guard base near the Mazza AB at the foot of Qaasiyoon Mountain west of Damascus. This was done so that the F-16’s electronic countermeasures would first fix on the SA-2 and SA-9 while the S-300 plowed forward to exterminate the vermin inside the Israeli aircraft. The S-300 vaporized the Israeli bomber. No evidence was seen of the pilot ejecting. Instead, eyewitness accounts described a ball of fire over the Golan and the remains scattering into the air over the Huleh Valley in Palestine.
- At 4:30 am on 10 February 2018, an Israeli AH-64 Apache helicopter shot down an Iranian produced copy of the RQ-170 drone (Saegheh (UAV)) near the northern town of Beit Shean. The Iranian drone was sighted taking off from a base in Syria, flew along the Jordanian border, and was intercepted 90 seconds after crossing the Israeli border.
In response to the sighting of the drone crossing the Israeli border, 8 F-16s of the Israeli air force, struck Tiyas Military Airbase from which the Israeli military said the drone was launched from. The attack prompted a response from the Syrian Air Defense system, which after firing on the Israeli jets, shot down an Israeli F-16 fighter jet over northern Israel, as it flying in high altitude over Israel to verify that missiles fired at the Iranian target hit it. The jet came down near kibbutz Harduf, east of Haifa, and the two pilots operating the plane ejected and were injured, one of them critically.
- Additionally to the downed F-16I of the Israeli Air Force, at least one Israeli F-15 warplane wad damaged by a Syrian missile and was forced to make an emergency landing on February 10, the Al Arabiya TV network reported citing own sources. According to unconfirmed report, in total 3 Israeli warplanes were damaged additionally to the F-16 which was downed by the Syrian forces earlier on February 10.
- At 18:00 Moscow time on September 17, 2018, RF-93610 and its 15 crew members were assigned to another 12-hour intelligence gathering mission to monitor radio and electronic transmissions and signatures of NATO and Israeli naval warships over the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. But at 22:07, while they were fl ying within 35km of the Syrian coast over the Mediterranean Sea, an S-200 surface-to-air missile launched by the Syrian Arab Air Defence Force shot the Il-20M down with the loss of all crew members on board.
Minutes before the accident, four Israeli Air Force F-16I Sufas from Ramon Air Base had carried out air strikes on four sites; an airfi eld, a Syrian Ministry of Defence aluminium factory, a military base and an oil storage facility. The strikes involved GBU-39 small diameter bombs and resulted in heavy explosions to the west of Latakia and near Tartus.
Simultaneously during the airstrikes, other Israeli Air Force aircraft operating in the area employed electronic countermeasures to protect themselves from a huge number of SA-2, S-200 and Buk M2 surface-to-air missiles, which were being launched at them repeatedly. The heavy jamming in the area confused the Syrian Air Defence Force S-200 surface-to-air missile site, which led to the launch of a S-200 missile at the Russian Air Force Il-20M, which was mistaken as an Israeli aircraft.
The following day, Russia’s Ministry of Defence released an o cial statement blaming Israel for the tragic accident. Russia’s Minister of Defence Sergei Shoigu claimed the four Israeli F-16Is took advantage of the Il-20M’s presence in the area and masked themselves behind the aircraft on their return to Israel.
|22. 06. 2012
||sea, 10km from the village of Om al-Tuyour|
|17. 03. 2015
||near the coastal town of Latakia, Syria|
|21. 08. 2015
||over Quneitra, Syria|
|10. 02. 2018
|10. 02. 2018
|17. 09. 2018
||35km of the Syrian coast over the Mediterranean Sea|
|FF :||Friendly Fire|
|IDF :||Israeli Defense Force|
|IDF/AF :||Israeli Defense Force / Air Force (זְרוֹעַ הָאֲוִיר וְהֶחָלָל / Zroa HaAvir VeHahalal)|
|S-125 :||С-125 «Нева» / «Печора», NATO reporting name SA-3 Goa, Soviet surface-to-air missile system was designed by Aleksei Mihailovich Isaev to complement the S-25 and S-75.|
|S-200 :||С-200, NATO reporting name SA-5 Gammon, is a very long range, medium-to-high altitude surface-to-air missile (SAM) system designed in the 1960s to defend large areas from bomber attack or other strategic aircraft|
|S-300 :||С-300 «Фаворит», NATO reporting name SA-10 Grumble, is a series of initially Soviet and later Russian long range surface-to-air missile systems produced by NPO Almaz|
|TuAF :||Turkish Air Force (Türk Hava Kuvvetler)|
|UAV :||Unmanned aerial vehicle|
С-125 «Нева» / SA-3 Goa.
С-300 «Фаворит» / SA-10 Grumble.
McDonnell Douglas RF-4E Phantom II , Turkish Air Force (Türk Hava Kuvvetler)
General Dynamics F-16 , Israel Air and Space Force (זרוע האויר והחלל / Zroa HaAvir VeHaḤalal)
Sources & Literature
- Büttner, Stefan: Russian Air Force's War on Terror, in Combat Aircraft, No. 2, 2016.
- Cooper, Tom: A Short History of Syrian-Turkish border Incidents, in Combat Aircraft, No. 2, 2016.
- IŁ-20 zestrzelony nad Syrią, Aktualności wojskowe, in Lotnictwo Aviation International, Vol. IV, Nr. 10 (30) Październik 2018.
- Izraelský F-16I Sufa sestřelen syrskou PVO, Krátké zprávy, in ATM, No. 3, 2018.
- Kaminski, Tom: Losses, in Combat Aircraft, Volume 19, Number 11, November 2018.
- Marszałkiewicz, Jakub: O peracje IAF nad Syrią na przełomie XX i XXI wieku, in Militaria XX wieku, Nr. 5 (74), 2016.
- Rovenský, Dušan: Horké okamžiky na horké hranici, Letecké incidenty na syrsko-tureckém pomezí, in ATM, No. 1, 2016.
- Taghvaee, Babak: The ears of Chkalovsky, Russia’s Il-20M spy planes, in Air International, Vol. 95, No. 5, November 2018.
- Visingr, Lukáš: Sestřelení Il-20M nad Sýrií, „Přátelská palba“ a vzájemné obviňování, in ATM, No. 11, 2018.
- ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 146425, AviationSafetyNetwork, http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=146425.
- ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 205928, AviationSafetyNetwork, http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=205928.
- At Least One Israeli F-15 Was Damaged Additionally To Downed F-16I In Recent Encounter With Syrian Forces – Media, SouthFront, https://southfront.org/
- Carey, Andrew - Smith-Spark, Laura - Chavez, Nicole: Israel loses warplane under Syrian fire, accuses Iran of drone infiltration, CNN, https://edition.cnn.com/.
- Cenciotti, David: “Turkish RF-4E Phantom shot down by Syrian missile in international airspace” Ankara says, The Aviationist, http://theaviationist.com/2012/09/19/turkish-rf-4e-latest/.
- Cenciotti, David: Israeli F-16I Sufa Crashes After Coming Under Massive Anti-Aircraft Fire From Syrian Air Defense, The Aviationist, https://theaviationist.com/2018/02/10/israeli-f-16i-sufa-crashes-after-coming-under-massive-anti-aircraft-fire-from-syrian-air-defenses/.
- Clements, Richard: Turkish RF-4E Phantom shot down by Syrian Air Defense battery. Known and unknown facts, The Aviationist, http://theaviationist.com/2012/06/22/tuaf-f4-shot-down/.
- Fadel, Ziad: Syria Shoots Down Israeli Warplane F-16 Bomber, Using Russian S-300 Air Defense System, Global Research - The Center of Research on Globalization, http://www.globalresearch.ca/syria-shoots-down-israeli-warplane-f-16-bomber-and-helicopters/5471009.
- February 2018 Israel–Syria incident, WikipediA, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_2018_Israel–Syria_incident.
- Greenhalgh, Ian: Syrian Army Shoots Down Israeli Fighter Jet over Quneitra, Veterans Today, http://www.veteranstoday.com/2015/08/22/syrian-army-shoots-down-israeli-fighter-jet-over-quneitra/.
- IDF intercepts Iranian UAV, Israel Defense Forces, https://www.idf.il/en/.
- Israeli–Syrian ceasefire line incidents during the Syrian Civil War, WikipediA, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli–Syrian_ceasefire_line_incidents_during_the_Syrian_Civil_War.
- Israeli F-16 fighter jet crashes under Syrian anti-aircraft fire amid IDF cross-border raid, RT International, https://www.rt.com/news/.
- Israeli F-16 jet shot down by Syria fire, says military, Al Jazeera, http://www.aljazeera.com/news/.
- Israeli War Jet Shot Down Over Syria, Sputnik International, http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20150822/1026069664/israeli-jet-shot-down-over-syria.html.
- Kubovich, Yaniv - Khoury, Jack - Landau, Noa - Shpigel, Noa: Israel Downs Iranian Drone, Strikes Syria; Israeli F-16 Shot Down, Haaretz, https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.
- Lednicer, David: Intrusions, Overflights, Shootdowns and Defections During the Cold War and Thereafter, http://myplace.frontier.com/~anneled/ColdWar.html.
- List of aircraft shootdowns, WikipediA, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_shootdowns.
- List of aviation shootdowns and accidents during the Syrian Civil War, WikipediA, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aviation_shootdowns_and_accidents_during_the_Syrian_Civil_War.
- McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II, WikipediA - The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II.
- One Israeli F-15 Was Damaged Additionally To Downed F-16I In Recent Encounter With Syrian Forces, IUVM, http://iuvmonline.com/en/16716.
- Salem, Ahmed: Israeli warplane shot down over Syria, ARA News, http://aranews.net/2015/08/israeli-warplane-shot-down-over-syria/.
- Syria war: Israeli fighter jet crashes under Syria fire, military says, BBC News, http://www.bbc.com/news/.
- Syrian Army Shoots Down Israeli Fighter Jet over Quneitra, FARS News Agency, http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13940531000300.
- Syrian military says it downed Turkish fighter jet, BBC, http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-18561219.
- Sýrie, Aktuální konflikty - zpravodajství, informace, historie..., http://www.aktualnikonflikty.cz/viewtopic.php.
- Turkey to push NATO on jet downing by Syria, CBC News, http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/turkey-to-push-nato-on-jet-downing-by-syria-1.1229977.
- Turkish F-16 downs Russian Su-24 violating airspace, F-16.net Forum, http://www.f-16.net/forum/.